The stories behind the crafts
Short stories are tiny windows into other worlds and other minds and dreams. - Neil Gaiman
Star Trek MAD crafting
5) At my house we celebrate a new theme every month. February is Valentine's day, August is Beach, October is Halloween, and so on. For May, we're celebrating Star Trek.
There's not a lot of decor out there for Star Trek. I've been able to find some things, like pillow covers, bedding, dinnerware, etc. However, for our list of decor, I've had to do a lot of crafting for this theme.
1) I've crafted larger sizes pillow covers. It's easy to find 16x16 or 18x18., but not 12x2o or 16x24. I even had a slight mishap with the 12x20 pillow cover. I misspelled "boldly". I initially had "To bodly go".
2) You've seen the garden flags, but I have also designed lawn sticks. I accidently painted the plywood circles with regular acrylic paint instead of outdoor painting. I'm hoping it'll be fine.
3) I took kitchen/dining linen and added Star Trek icons: table runner, napkins, oven mitt and pot holder. I also did a bathroom hand towel. I did have one mess up where I put the icon up-side down. A trick: heat the opposite side of the fabric while pulling the vinyl off. Be careful not to burn yourself.
4) I've got tons of wood signs and cutouts designed and painted. Some will be placed at the bar and wine cabinet, some will be on the tv stand.
5) Last, I've got hanging welcome signs for our doors.
My favorite part of the experience has been discovering the joy of .svg files. There are a variety of graphic designers on Etsy selling images in .svg files. These files are designed with layers in mind so you can use Cricut to cut each layer in a different color. Some designers even give you commercial or small business use, so you can sell items with their design on them.
Needless to say, it's been a journey to say the least. Come back here as I post more instructions to see what other stories or mishaps I have to share.
Here you will find the stories behind my craft projects as well as other information I want to share.
This website is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License